Compass Courses Maritime Training wants to help you with your US Coast Guard application. We have put together this short list to help you find the information you need on the US Coast Guard’s National Maritime Center’s website. If you have any questions contact us at 425-778-1923. We hope the information below will help you.
Information about the National Maritime Center and submitting applications to them:
The National Maritime Center (NMC) is the US Coast Guard’s Mariner Licensing Authority, and issues credentials (i.e. AB and Lifeboat endorsements, deck and engineering licenses) to mariners. The NMC’s website contains instructions about applying for a Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) such as the forms, applications, checklists, and many other resources that are helpful to the mariner.
The NMC’s website is www.uscg.mil/nmc, and the NMC Help Desk at 1-888-427-5662.
Here are some tips for finding the information you need on the NMC’s website or to apply for a MMC:
- If you are new to the process of applying for a license or endorsement look at the NMC’s “Original Wizard Guide“. This will walk you through all the steps required to apply and submit your application to the NMC.
- To find Checklists, which will help you determine what sea service and training courses are needed for a particular license or endorsement, look on their Checklist webpage.
- To find the current Forms for Applications needed to complete your application process (i.e. Original, Renewal, Duplicate, Raise of Grade, Modification, orContinuity) go to their
Credentialing Process web page. NOTE: These forms are due to be updated, and this page will keep you current with the changes.
- A Transportation Worker Identification Credential(TWIC) is required for each mariner that applies for an original MMC. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA), not the USCG, issues the TWIC.
- Military personnel looking to document their sea service should use Special Form 180 (SF-180) to request a Transcript of Sea Service. Access SF-180 at the National Archives website. The USCG will not accept a DD-214 for sea service.
For a printable version of this information please click here.